Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sketches from Life Class

Sketches from Life Class

Male rear pose (20 mins)
Soft Pastel on pink rice paper
25x20 inches

I've started a new life class so thought I would share some of the work so far. These sketches might work their way into oils at some point, probably after I've completed the 10 week term and choose my favourites.

Male profile pose (20 mins)
Soft Pastel on pink rice paper

25x20 inches

Apologies to anyone shocked by the nudity- I did warn you this was a life class! The human body is surprisingly difficult a subject that has fascinated artist for centuries. Getting proportions, values, movement and a level of realism keeps you on your toes. As an artist it's one of the ultimate challenges to sketch from life- a 3D environment and make it believable in 2D, also the pressure of working quickly with a tutor and fellow artists make it pretty exciting.


Male front pose (25 mins)
Charcoal on paper

25x20 inches


Female reclining pose (30 mins)
Soft Pastel on pink rice paper

25x20 inches

In some of the previous life classes I've done I tried to be pretty precise and accurate, this time I'm deliberately trying to keep a loose feel to the sketches- hence the wacky bright pink paper!

As the class goes on I'll share more

No comments: