Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stormy seascape study

Stormy Seascape (study),
Oil on canvas
14x10 inches



Trying to improve my seascapes, I realised that I needed to study the movement of the sea a bit more. My coastal scenes tend to focus on calmer sea, and the sea in itself is rarely the focal point. It took about an hour and a half. I'm reasonably happy with the way it turned out and I definitely learned a fair bit from the techniques side of things. The one thing for me is that the pallette of colours doesn't really work here in Scotland as the blue and browns in the rock are too intense. The colours here are much more slate blue/grey for the sea and the rocks locally are a lot darker.

Next I need to try to put some of these techniques to use on original stuff from local scenes.

3 comments:

rob ijbema said...

i like the action in this Ryan,
the colors don't look to bad on my monitor...try putting a bit of the complementary color in your mix to grey things down...

Ryan Evans said...

Hi Rob

Thanks! Yeah definitely need to grey down the colours as they are too saturated in the water for Scotland!

Ryan

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Ryan,
This is really good! I like how you have handled the wave and caught the action of a big wave like that about to break with a roar.
I bought Byron's video thinking I could see the master of the wave and then do a fair scene myself...no dice. He works really hard to get what he catches and there is no shortcut to doing that type of work...comes from years of experience.
You are doing really good stuff Ryan. Can't wait to see you capturing more of your surroundings.
Take Care, Ron